Screen Fund slate development second call
Northern Ireland’s screen sector is still facing many challenges due to the recent Coronavirus outbreak and several key sectors continue to be particularly badly affected. In order to support the companies that work in these areas and to help ensure their survival and development, Northern Ireland Screen has made available additional slate development funding targeted at production companies across the following sectors: Factual/Entertainment, Feature Documentary, TV Drama and Independent Film. The first tranche of these funds was awarded in May 2020. The call is now open for the second round of funding.
As outlined in the first call companies were encouraged to engage with broadcasters and distributors throughout the development period. Whilst it is acknowledged that match funding may be challenging to secure at this time, Northern Ireland Screen will prioritise projects that have secured match funding or confirmed interest from a broadcaster or distributor in the second round.
Applications for the second round will be accepted as part of a call. All applications including supporting documentation must be received by Monday 10th August 2020. All applications will be assessed with decisions intended to be made by 31st August 2020.
WHO CAN APPLY?
Northern Ireland based production companies that were registered with Companies House and in operation before 1st March 2020 within the following sectors: Factual/Entertainment, Feature Documentary, TV Drama and Independent Film.
This call is open to companies that received funding via the first round as well as companies that did not receive support via the first round.
LEVEL OF FUNDING AVAILABLE
|The level of funding support available is categorised as follows: Level that can be applied for|
|Companies with 1-6 full time staff members on PAYE on 01.03.20||Up to £10,000|
|Companies that have secured at least £10,000 cash from a broadcaster/distributor towards development of the slate or companies with 7 or more full time staff members on PAYE on 01.03.20||Up to £30,000|
|Companies that have secured at least £20,000 cash from a broadcaster/distributor towards development of the slate||Up to £50,000|
It should be noted that there is a limited level of funding available in this round and should demand exceed the level available then Northern Ireland Screen may decide to offer a lower level of award to companies.
If a company has secured match funding from a broadcaster/distributor then this should be included in the overall finance plan and budget.
Any awards made in this 2nd round will include the standard Screen Fund recoupment terms.
CRITERIA FOR SUPPORT
- A company can only make one application even if the company’s area of work crosses into more than one sector e.g. factual/entertainment and feature documentary;
- At least 4 project ideas must be developed via the slate. This can be further development of projects on 1st stage slate or new projects. For projects that are being further developed the materials to be developed during the 2nd stage must be different to the 1st stage and designed to move the project forward;
- Decisions will be based on the quality of the projects on the slate and the strength of the route to market. For 2nd stage development of projects it must be clearly demonstrated how the projects have progressed since the 1st stage including details on engagement with commissioners and distributors;
- A minimum Northern Ireland spend of 80% of the development budget is required;
- As well as the standard supporting documentation all applications must include a detailed budget that includes a line for:
– Company overheads
– Each staff member / freelance crew member that will be paid through this development. Job roles must be listed.
- A monthly progress and cost report must be provided throughout the development period;
- All development materials and vouching reports should be delivered by January 2021;
- Vouching documentation (a vouching report, invoices and bank statements) will be required in order to release the 2nd and 3rd tranches of funding. All vouching must be provided electronically;
- If a production company is in receipt of a current Screen Fund award or other government funding (including any of the employee retention schemes currently on offer from the government) then any costs covered by that funding cannot be included in this development application;
- Before any funds can be released on a 2nd stage development award the first stage award must be fully delivered and vouched.
Please contact Jennifer Johnston, Funding Executive, ([email protected]) to discuss a potential application before applying. After this discussion a link to the online application form will be sent out.
All applicants must complete an online application form. Please ensure that all supporting documentation is submitted either online with your application or via email to the Funding Department ([email protected]).
Failure to provide the requested supporting documentation will result in your application being eliminated from the Screen Fund Slate Development call.
All applications including supporting documentation must be received by Monday 10th August 2020. All applications will be assessed with decisions intended to be made by 31st August 2020.
These specific call guidelines are in addition to the standard Screen Fund guidelines and conditions of award.