Return to Work scheme for parents/carers working in Post and VFX
Date Posted: January 7, 2020
Film London is delighted to launch the ScreenSkills Return to Work scheme for post and VFX. This programme is supported by the ScreenSkills High-end TV Skills Fund with contributions from UK high-end TV productions.
The scheme aims to attract parents/carers and welcome them back in to the industry with the help of re-training workshops, mentoring and a paid Returnship. It is a nationwide scheme that is looking to find ten Returners from across the UK. The partners in the regions include Screen Yorkshire, Creative England, Film Wales and Northern Ireland Screen.
Ten exceptional candidates will have the opportunity to do a one month Returnship (part time, 3 days per week for 4 weeks.) Leading post and VFX companies that will be looking to take a Returner include are Molinare, Technicolor, Outpost, Jellyfish Pictures, Splice and Bait Studio. Selected candidates will be contracted by Film London as freelancers and work on the premises of the selected company.
Parents who have had a career break due to childcare and carers who have left the industry to look after relatives are encouraged to apply for the scheme, including groups currently under-represented in the industry, such as women, black, Asian and minority ethnic and disabled people. Travel costs to facilitate training will also be covered (including finding local Post and VFX companies to take on a Returner should there be a suitable candidate).
The scheme will take place between January and July 2020. Timings of the Returnships will be agreed on an individual basis depending on availability of candidates and companies throughout this period.
Essential experience and personal qualities include:
- Extensive, relevant experience in TV and/or film industry prior to career break
- An understanding and knowledge of High End TV
- Excellent communication skills
- Demonstrate ability to prioritise workload, manage own time and work to deadlines
- Team player
Returnships will suit people who have demonstrable experience in one or more of the below areas:
- Post production coordinators
- Post supervisor
- Production coordinator
- Production manager
- VFX Supervisors
- Concept Artists
- Roto Artists
- Matte Artists
- VFX Producers
- Digital Preparation (Paint/Prep artists)
- This scheme is for the Post and VFX sector, so please only apply if you are interested in working/transferring your skills to this sector.
In addition to the Returnships, candidates are required to attend 4 Retraining sessions, including workshops, industry meetings and meetings with a mentor. Once the scheme has finished the participants will become part of the Equal Access Network and we will help facilitate further work opportunities and on-going support.
Each selected participant will:
- Be sub-contracted to Film London and paid a day rate as a freelancer to undertake the Returnships at a selected company.
- Be reimbursed their travel expenses to attend re-training sessions if coming from the nations and regions to attend London Retraining days or workshops.
- Become part of the Equal Access Network to gain further support.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email [email protected] with the below by Monday 13th January 2020:
- Cover letter stating
- why you are the ideal candidate to participate in this scheme
- how long your career break has been
- how your particular skills, experience and interests fit this scheme
- Which role(s) you would be interested in
- Please include an equal opportunities form.
It is the policy of Film London to promote and integrate equality of opportunity into all aspects of its business, including its appointment of staff and funding schemes. We wish to ensure that Film London reflects the diversity of the communities in which it works. We welcome applications from groups currently under represented including black, Asian and minority ethnic and disabled people.
For more information about the scheme, please click HERE to read the FAQs.