Creative Skillset’s Trainee Finder open for Feature Films and High-End TV Drama
Date Posted: January 5, 2017
Since its launch, Creative Skillset’s Trainee Finder has helped place trainees on Feature Films and High-End TV Drama across the UK.
Productions featured include Wonder Woman, Jurassic World, God’s Own Country, Breathe and Lady Macbeth, and High-End TV Dramas Peaky Blinders, Poldark, Game of Thrones, Outlander, Dr Foster and No Offence.
This winter, Trainee Finder is recruiting for its 2018-19 intake of trainees, offering opportunities across the UK in either Film or HETV Drama – applicants cannot apply for both schemes.
Film Trainee Finder is looking for trainees who are passionate about a career in the following departments and grades: Art Department, Floor Runner (suitable for aspiring Assistant Directors), Camera, Costume & Wardrobe, Edit, Video Assist, Hair & Make-Up, Locations, Production Office (suitable for aspiring Production Managers) and Sound departments.
HETV Trainee Finder is seeking trainees, in the following departments and grades: Art Department, Camera, Costume, Edit, Floor Runner, Hair and Make-Up, Locations and Production Office Runners who are committed to building a career in High-End TV Drama.
Creative Skillset is seeking talented individuals from across the UK who have less than 12 months paid experience in their chosen department. They must be able to clearly demonstrate a passion and commitment for working in Film or HETV, provide two industry relevant references and describe what they want to learn and how they will benefit from being part of Trainee Finder.
Trainee Finder seeks to ensure inclusivity in the Film and High-End TV Drama workforce. Creative Skillset is committed to diversity and equality of opportunity in all aspects of its work.
• Live in the UK and have evidence of the right to remain in the UK.
• Have fewer than 12 months, relevant, paid experience.
• Be available for placements during the time on the program.
• Demonstrate an interest in the department they select.
• Ideally be able to drive or close to taking driving tests, and be open to being flexible about the location of placement.
• You do not need a university degree to apply.
• We welcome applicants who have transferable skills, for example from other creative sectors such as theatre, music, photography and commercial production, or from roles in other sectors such as business administration, event management, or salon styling for make-up and hair.
• We cannot consider students who will still be in full time education by April 1st, 2018 and encourage them to reapply in our next intake.
• Any training will be subject to providing evidence of your right to remain in the UK. Failure to provide appropriate documentation may result in the training placement being withdrawn.
• All successful applicants must attend a mandatory 3-day induction event in March in preparation for the scheme.
• Ideally from professionals within the department they are applying to.
• Students or people at trainee level are not acceptable referees.
• One reference may be from a tutor/lecturer/group leader if they are or have been an industry professional.
• References can come from other sectors on a case by case basis.
• If an applicant gets through to interview stage, we will contact referees.
By becoming a part of either Film Trainee Finder or HETV Trainee Finder, you will become part of an industry recognised group of trainees, receiving exclusive access to training placements on some of the most exciting Films or High-End TV Dramas being shot in the UK. Whilst on production, you will be supported by a supervisor within your department, learn and develop your craft through on the job training, and gain important contacts to help you find future work.
Alongside placements, all trainees are required to attend training which could include Health and Safety, Finance for Freelancers, First Aid, Branding and Networking, Industry Masterclasses, Carbon Literacy and one-to-one support.
Please note that once accepted on to Trainee Finder, placements are not guaranteed, and you must ensure your cv and hive profile are kept up to date and remain in contact with the Trainee Finder team about your availability. We will strive to help you and put you forward for any placements you express interest in, but it is the decision of the production which trainees are selected. We therefore urge that you remain proactive and continue to find your own work, and not rely solely on the scheme.
The Trainee Finder team will shortlist applicants based on their application, Hiive Profile, and CV. Successful applicants will be called to take part in an interview either face-to-face or over the phone with a member of the Trainee Finder team and a relevant industry professional. It is mandatory that successful applicants attend a two/three day induction event in March 2018 (dates and locations tbc for Film Trainees, 16-18th March for HETV Trainees).
If unsuccessful at getting to interview stage, please note that due to the volume of applications we receive, Creative Skillset will be unable to provide individual feedback.
How to apply
To apply, click here for further information.