Channel 4 Comedy Blaps open for submissions
Comedy Blaps is Channel 4’s new vehicle for piloting comedy online. They live on channel4.com/blaps, Youtube, Vimeo and as a podcast on itunes. Each Blap commission takes the shape of an online mini-series of three or so films, with each episode being approximately 4mins in length.
Submissions are now open for our summer season of Blaps, and close on Friday 2nd March 2012.
Channel 4 will launch a winter season of Blaps at the end of the year. Deadlines for these ideas will be August 2012. Further details will be released closer to the time. Here’s some more info on what they’re looking for.
Can I submit any other ideas?
- Blaps are entry level, grassroots series of 3 x 4 minute pieces, for brand new comedy ideas and talent to find their creative feet. We’re looking for ideas that work brilliantly as shorts, but have the scale and potential to develop further and possibly get a full pilot.
- Blaps are open to anyone – so as well as taking submissions via production companies, we’re also open to ideas that come in via individuals or talent themselves.
- No more than one entry per person. In terms of bigger production companies, this means one idea per producer. Make sure your submission is your passion piece.
- We need a full treatment that explains and sells the idea, detailing who will be involved on and off screen, and a clear breakdown of what the three separate Blaps will be. One line about an idea with no supporting material won’t be enough to catch our eye in a sea of pitches. Be creative to help stand out from other pitches.
- Additional supporting materials are essential – scripts, links to taster clips, example scenes, show reels, previous work online. The more information you can throw at us to get a sense of your ideas the better.
- Please submit fully formed ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org – please only send Blap ideas to this email address.
- Please go to www.channel4.com/blaps to view our Blaps site so you get a feel for what we are looking for.
- We aim to get back to everyone as soon as possible. We are a small team so bear with us. We like to give each submission the time it deserves so sometimes it takes us a while to get back to you. Please understand that we cannot give personal feedback to everyone.
We are ONLY looking for Comedy Blaps at this stage. The Comedy Lab & Showcase seasons are no longer open to pitches.
Please note that the Comedy department only deal with scripted comedy (like PhoneShop, Peep Show, Facejacker & sketch shows). Studio shows including panel show ideas and stand up show ideas should be sent to the Entertainment department. All contacts can be found on this site.
If you’re an individual, please do not submit sitcom scripts direct to us (The ONLY unsolicited material we are considering at the moment is for Blaps) – all other submissions need to come via a PACT registered production company. We do not make any shows in-house. We work with a wide variety of companies, and to find the company that fits best with your idea please check the programme credits of shows you feel are similar to what you wish to make and then contact them directly. They will be the best placed people to help mould your idea into something right for Channel 4.PACT website details: https://www.pact.co.uk/Homepage/