CREATIVE ANIMATION APPLICATION CALL
Northern Ireland Screen’s Creative Animation Scheme is designed to develop Northern Ireland resident junior creators/animators through the production of animated short films. The scheme provides junior level creators/animators with the opportunity to develop their own ideas with support from established animation companies.
The scheme is supported via funding from the Screen Fund and British Film Institute.
The scheme is currently open for applications with a deadline of Friday 29th September 2017.
WHO CAN APPLY?
The scheme is open to established Northern Ireland based animation companies who have identified emerging talent that could be supported through this funding to develop and create animated short films. The identified individual (creator/animator) should not be a principal of the company and should not currently be working in IP generation.
KEY PARAMATERS OF THE SCHEME
Max Budget per film: £40,000
Duration: Maximum duration 10 minutes
Delivery by: December 2018
Required deliverables: Hard drive, DVD and stills
Northern Ireland based production companies can make an application for the full budget of £40,000.
CRITERIA FOR SUPPORT
- The applicant company should be a Northern Ireland based animation production company;
- The creator/animator should be a Northern Ireland resident;
- The creator/animator identified should not currently be working in IP generation and should not be a principal of the company;
- The applicant company must be willing to engage in a formal option agreement with the creator/animator regarding the project;
- If the project is based on existing work then the company needs to have the rights to develop it;
- The funding is to support the creator/animator to produce an animated short film.
All applications including supporting documentation must be received by Friday 29th September 2017. All applications will be assessed with decisions intended to be made by mid-November 2017.
Please contact Christine Morrow, New and Emerging Talent Executive, to discuss a potential application before applying. After this discussion a link to the online application form will be sent out. Alongside the general supporting documentation the following items are also required:
- A CV for the creator/animator
- Story outline, treatment including concept art and a script for the project
- A provisional schedule for the project
All applicants must complete an online application form. Please ensure that all supporting documentation is submitted either online with your application or via email to Jennifer Johnston, Funding Executive.
Failure to provide the requested supporting documentation will result in your application being eliminated from the Creative Animation call.
COMMITMENT TO GOOD PRACTICE
- All productions supported by Northern Ireland Screen will be required to make a contribution to the Skills Investment Fund (SIF), the training levy to be collected and distributed by Skillset on behalf of the industry. Producers will have to pay 0.5 per cent of their budget to the SIF. The ceiling on any one production is capped at £40,860. This should appear as a line item in the budget. This levy does not replace any existing provision for the employment of trainees that may be in the budget: the SIF levy is an additional training cost. For more information about the film levy, or to apply please click here.
All productions supported by Northern Ireland Screen must commit to, and adhere to, the Norther Ireland Industry Code of Practice published by Northern Ireland Screen. A copy of this code is available on the online application site.